Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Barley Twist Table

When I found this little table in the apartment, it was gray instead of brown. Someone had either left it in a barn or scrubbed it down to the old wood. How old it is or whether it was a second store purchase or a family heirloom, I have no idea. But I loved it when I found it, and I love it now that it is in our living room.

Furniture lovers call the legs barley twist, so finding little side tables like this on the Internet is quite easy. But this sweetie has an added attraction. The four sides were hand-carved with flowers and curly cues. The tabletop has warped and distinctly shows the three pieces of wood used to make it. Because the edges are beautifully beveled, you almost overlook the cracks between the slats of wood.

I wish I had taken a "before" photo of this sweetheart when she was old and gray. After soaking up one good slurp of Pledge Revitalizing Oil with Natural Orange Oil, she looks presentable and a keeper. The wood is still so dry that another polishing is probably in order.

I just flipped her upside-down to look for a makers name. This is what I found. No name, but reasonably new wooden braces and lots of rusty metal L braces that look old, but not antique. And, of course, one dead spider. A Dutch spider, I presume.

Both the table and spider will rest in peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment